1. What are the overall objectives of our church in the light of the biblical revelation?
2. Is a ministry to students high on our list of priorities?
If the answer is No, should steps be taken to change them?
3. How well are we achieving our objectives of meeting the needs of our students?
( ) Very Well ( ) Well ( ) Fair ( ) Poorly ( ) Very Poorly
4. What changes are required of us in order that we may achieve our objectives of meeting the needs of students?
5. In answering the above question, if an approach involves a separate organization for students:
How many students are available to us?
If we separate students into an organization of their own, can we meet their needs in a better way?
If we separate students from other young adults, what will happen to the other young adults?
6. Does the church need the assistance of students so much in meeting the educational needs of younger persons that it cannot provide activities that will further the college students own education and training?
7. What is the situation of the students? Are they more tied to their high school friends and activities than to their own age group and its activities? Are they living at home or in dorms? Do many of them work part-time?
8. Do we have or can we secure the resources needed to do a good job of ministering with students? For example:
Do we have the adult and student leaders needed?
If not, can we enlist and train them?
Do we have adequate space, facilities, and equipment?
If not, can we get them?
Do we have the needed finances?
Are curriculum materials available?
Are program suggestions available?
Are there campus ministers/coaches we can call upon for assistance? Yes, contact Rick Trexler, firstname.lastname@example.org.
In what ways can a campus minister/coach help us?
1. What is our total church membership?
2. How many college and university students are members?
3. How many students are commuting from home?
4. How many students are home on weekends?
5. How many students are home during the summer?
6. What is the church's average attendance in Sunday School?
7. What is the average attendance of students in Sunday School?
8. What is the church's average attendance in Discipleship Training?
9. What is the average attendance of students in Discipleship Training?
10. What is the church's average attendance in mission activities?
11. What is the average attendance of students in mission activities?
List the ways in which the church is organized to minister to youth at the present and then list the ways in which the church is organized to minister to students. Are there similarities? Are there differences? If so, where and why?
If these questions have sparked an interest on your part to further consider your church's ministry to and with college students, great. Feel free to contact Rick Trexler with the Campus Ministry Team of the Baptist State Convention of N. C.
Contributed by Joe Clontz, Former Student Ministry Consultant, Baptist State Convention of North Carolina